PiCapture raspberry pi 4 and piCapture

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    djr
    Participant

Has anyone gotten the Raspberry pi 4 board with piCapture? I have a 4GB model that doesn’t see my piCapture HD1 board. The piCapture works fine in a raspberry pi 3 B+ setting. I’ve updated the RPI4 board to the latest version of Raspbian with the latest updates as of October 28th 2019. I’ve also updated the firmware. None of these “fixes” seems to be the magic bullet , though.

jlsaunders987
    Participant

Have tried everything i can find in the forums here and haven’t been able to get it to work.

I see in several places the devs have said that ‘some users have reported success with the raspi 4’, but I don’t see that anywhere on the forums (although I can’t say my search was exhaustive since there’s no search function on this forum as far as I can tell). Unless there’s some further detail regarding *how* (or whether) people have gotten it to work with the pi 4 I think that’s pretty misleading. It seems like either the devs should work on support for the pi 4 or say clearly on the product page that it *doesn’t work* on the pi 4 — right now I’m feeling pretty cheated.

w.tukis
    Participant

Has anyone had any luck using this with pi4? I was considering updating my projects to use the 4.

Nate
    Participant

I’m working on it right now actually. I received my HD1 last week and just got everything assembled last night. I’m able to communicate with the HD1 via pivideo and the pi is able to recognize it as a camera, but I can’t seem to get it to detect an active video input. Right now I’m using an HDMI splitter on my desktop computer’s video output. I’m going to test it on another output soon.

If anyone has any input on how far they’ve gotten with the rpi4, I’d appreciate any information.

Here is some output from my pi (8gb model). I’m running “Raspberry Pi OS (32-bit) with desktop and recommended software” and have enabled the camera and i2c interfaces.
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $ vcgencmd get_camera
    supported=1 detected=1
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $ pivideo –port i2c1 –query all
    PiCapture HD1 is ready
    No active video detected
    Selected video source is: hdmi
    Active video source is: hdmi
    Raspberry Pi camera port is not active
    Video processor firmware version: 07

In what I’ve read so far, I think the camera port shouldn’t activate until I’ve run the raspivid command. And I can’t run the raspivid command until the HD1 detects an active video input (indicated by the blue LED).

edit: changed output to bold from code

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Nate. Reason: changed output to bold from code
    Nate
    Participant

I just adjusted my video card to output 60hz instead of 59hz and the input is now detected.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ pivideo –port i2c1 –query all
    PiCapture HD1 is ready
    Active video: Mode 1
    Selected video source is: hdmi
    Active video source is: hdmi
    Raspberry Pi camera port is not active
    Video processor firmware version: 07

I was able to run the following command to generate a still image.

pi@raspberrypi:~/picapture $ raspistill -o cam.jpg
    pi@raspberrypi:~/picapture $ ls
    cam.jpg debug.sh

Here is the picture… it’s not quite what I expected, but I’ll take it: https://i.imgur.com/ImJ6UMe.jpg

While the raspivid command in the docs did not work for me (complained about invalid arguments), I was able to successfully generate a 10 second capture with the following.
    raspivid -o video.h264 -t 10000

I’m not a video guy, but the sensors or something change the colors/hue of the video as the input changes. For example, when I opened file explorer the capture gained an orange tint.
    For anyone that wants to see: https://youtu.be/u4yMQ4tgQ60

I think it’s safe to say it works on the rpi4, but we (or at least I) need better documentation of raspicam/raspivid to optimize the capture.

Bonus pic of my pi!
    https://imgur.com/a/GrhKgnR

mwlinder
    Keymaster

Digital sources like computer cards sometimes use values outside the range common to other video, and adjusting the brightness/saturation settings can make a big difference – see the PiCapture documentation for suggestions. It is also possible to tune the colors with the AWB settings.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
djrraspberry pi 4 and piCapture