PiCapture Feature requests

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    mwlinder
    Keymaster

A discussion of requested feature enhancements for the PiCapture products

We are interested in any ideas for new features or functions that would allow the PiCapture products to support additional applications or solve a customer problem. Please let us know!

• This topic was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by mwlinder.
    mwlinder
    Keymaster

1080i Video Processing

We have received a request for 1080i video processing:

the reason why this is important to me is because for the longest time, EDIROL had only one high end video mixer the V440HD and it’s maximum output is 1080i, and a very popular model of camera is the SONY HDR series notably the FX1, FX7, and similar models that record to HDV tapes like the HVR-Z1U those where the cream of the crop for semi-pro’s during many years until the DSLR became the replacement with tapeless transform. My friend here in montreal is the chief production in charge of Radio-Canada and CBC stations tells me there are still a lot of uses for interlaced footage and that many countries around the world still produce content that is interlaced even for broadcast.(pretty much everywhere except north america, and large modern cities around the globe) In other to allow them to continue to use their precious gear, the mixer (Edirol V440HD) was going around 10K and the cameras i mentioned around 8K (FX7 5K) many churches and documentary producer still have a lot of equipment going around using component as the interface (YPbPr) Having a system like yours to enable them to move their workflow to a pi or even create their own solutions as DIY upgrades to capture the signal into the computer.

mwlinder
    Keymaster

We have had a request for support for 240p video on the PiCapture SD1, which is the format used by many games on older game consoles (N64, etc.) Would this be important to many people?

daverb
    Participant

My immediate thought on seeing your product was to use it as a video converter for zx spectrum and Amiga machines, but there are much cheaper “boxes” available and would need to explore how I can tweak it to different needs… maybe 50-60hz conversion in future (I have mixed US/U.K. Systems as many Amiga fans do due to add on availability)

Thanx

andyc
    Participant

I would like to see support for lower frame rates.
    e.g. 1080p25 / 1080p30 1080p23.98
    I use 1080P25 quite often.

andyc
    Participant

I would also like to second support for interlaced formats – or at the very least the ability to capture one field of the frame.
    i.e. to capture 1920x1080i60 as 1920x1080p30 ( discarding one of the frames )

andyc
    Participant

I’ll be using your product with a Pi3 to provide titling overlay on a live video stream.
    Also I’d like to try using the GL features of the Pi to place the captured video as a textured surface – for example rotoscoping or a virtual studio.
    ( See the raspistill teapot GL example )

oralbertr
    Participant

I would love to see sleeping mode implemented in RiCapture to slow down the clock and sleep if no active video signal is detected. Also, it would be nice to have ability to power on/off RiCapture completely from the software (i.e. pivideo command).

-albertr

Al Testani
    Keymaster

Thanks for the feature ideas.

The current PiCapture hardware doesn’t allow for sleep mode or power switching. In a future hardware revision we may consider a sleep mode and a PiVideo command to turn off the PiCapture. It isn’t practical to use PiVideo to turn PiCapture on without a major change that would keep some portion of PiCapture still powered to receive and act on the PiVideo power on command.

w.tukis
    Participant

I’d like to see a display port version of the board made.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
mwlinderFeature requests