The PiCapture firmware may be updated using the PiVideo application.
WE DO NOT RECOMMEND UPDATING THE FIRMWARE UNLESS YOU ARE EXPERIENCING A SPECIFIC ISSUE WITH YOUR PICAPTURE BOARD AS DESCRIBED IN THE RELEASE NOTES. AN UNSUCCESSFUL FIRMWARE UPDATE MAY RESULT IN A NONFUNCTIONAL BOARD!
Control firmware update process:
- Update your PiVideo software to the latest version. If you are using PyPi (recommended!) simply issue the command: sudo pip install –upgrade pivideo
- Set the jumpers on your PiCapture board for serial port communications. Refer to the PiCapture documentation for detailed instructions.
- Make sure that the Raspberry Pi can communicate with the PiCapture board using the serial port using the command: pivideo -p serial -q all If there are any problems with getting the status over the serial port you will not be able to perform the software update. Communications issues are generally caused by either a problem with the jumpers or Raspberry Pi serial port configuration problems. If the serial port is not enabled or if it is already in use by the console you will receive an error.
- Transfer the firmware update file to your Raspberry Pi
- Issue the command: pivideo -p serial -update FILENAME You will see a progress tracker as the PiCapture EEPROM is flashed. Do not interrupt this process!
The latest PiCapture firmware is version 7. We do not recommend updating the firmware on PiCapture unless required to resolve a specific problem. Please use our support database if you are experiencing any issues.